Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area
If you have space to build in the Wichita, KS metro area, a pool house provides privacy for swimming and allows for year-round use, less pool debris maintenance, and increased safety, whether from sunburn or trespassers.
Here we spotlight one of our projects that may appear as a separate shop or home garage but is, in fact, a pool house complete with a full bath.
Indoor pools require many considerations when planning the project, beginning with permits. Both a building permit and pool permit are required. And, in this case, the county health department had to sign off because of the building’s proximity to an existing well.
Project Details – Indoor Pool House with Full Bathroom
- After the footings for the main building were poured, the pool excavation process began, and then all plumbing lines were installed.
- The building was conventionally framed with an area for the pool room, a full bathroom, and a mechanical room.
- Icynene® yellow spray foam on the exterior walls and ceiling (excluding the roof joists) provides a barrier to prevent air transfer between the exterior and interior walls.
- A vapor barrier installed on the framing of the walls and ceiling and mildew-resistant drywall helps to address moisture concerns inside the building.
- Epoxy paint was applied to the drywall to provide a resistant finish, and all trim inside the structure is PVC to resist corrosion and deterioration.
- Vinyl windows and fiberglass doors were selected with efficiency and (low) maintenance in mind.
- A pool heater and mechanical room with a dehumidifier control the relative humidity in the room.
- Two exhaust fans (with particular CFM ratings) installed inside the building automatically turn on if the relative humidity inside the room exceeds a certain threshold.
- An electric pool cover adds safety and helps to reduce evaporation.
- High efficiency tankless hot water heater
- A full bathroom with a custom tile shower offers convenience and privacy.
- Customer-installed electronic apps monitor the pool house from a smartphone.
19' x 43' Structure with Indoor Pool
This 19' x 43' exterior building houses an indoor pool to be enjoyed year-round. Not only does a pool house hide unsightly plumbing equipment and chemicals, but it provides a climate-controlled, private space with less debris maintenance, fewer pests, and weather protection.
Full Bathroom Inside the Pool House
A full bathroom inside the pool house allows swimmers to not only rinse off before jumping in which results in more balanced water with fewer necessary chemicals, but it also keeps swimmers from dripping through your home for a restroom break.
Exterior Building with Visual Appeal
Care was taken to plan an aesthetically-pleasing structure in the homeowner's backyard. From the stylish window panes to the brick paver walkway to the unobtrusive view from the street, every design aspect of this pool house is intentional and well-suited to the space.
Almost every detail of this project was thoroughly planned, analyzed, and adjusted so that this pool house functions perfectly, without concerns of interior rusting or corrosion. In addition, the completed project is extremely efficient, resulting in much lower energy bills than the customer had expected.
The price range of the project (a 19’ x 43’ structure to fit on this particular property complete with an indoor pool and full bathroom) is $125,000 to $150,000.
Looking for More?
For those in Wichita, KS, and the surrounding area including Hutchinson, Newton, and McPherson, we can help design and build your dream outdoor living area. Whether you are looking to add a pool house, deck, pergola, gazebo, pavilion, fencing, or an outdoor kitchen/fireplace, contact us for a free estimate request or call (316) 262-6770.