Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area
A fence is simple but effect way to improve your Kansas home’s curbside appeal, privacy or security, and even protection from the elements such as the wind.
Types of Fencing
There are many different fencing options to select from but primarily the ones we install in the Wichita, KS metro area are the following:
- Chain Link Fencing – Typically made of woven, inter-locking galvanized steel wire with stability coming from galvanized steel posts that are typically cemented into the ground. Benefits: Most affordable, long lasting and durable with almost no maintenance. Typical Uses: Pet contentment, security, safety, and temporary uses.
- Wooden Privacy Fencing – Privacy fencing can be made of many different types of wood but in KS we typically use Cedar or Pressure Treated Pine with 4x4 posts cemented into the ground. Benefits: Acts as a windbreaker from wind/elements, decorative styles, variety of colors and woods. Typical Uses: Enhances landscaping, security/protection/privacy for children and pets, and noise reduction/barrier.
- Wrought Iron Fencing – Wrought iron is a alloy with a very low amount of carbon in it, making it similar to steel in many ways. It is often considered the standard for high end, ornamental fencing. Benefits: Stronger than wood or chain link, long lasting and durable with low maintenance (typically just painting). Typical Uses: Ornamental look for landscaping and enhanced security and protection.
I know what kind of fence I want, but now what?
Whether you are replacing an existing fence or have a newly constructed home with no fencing at all, you will want to start by looking for a good fence contractor. To find one, here are a few tips on what to look for when choosing a company to install your new fencing for your home or business in the Wichita KS area:
- Research (look at their web site, call their office and talk to a person)
- Get an estimate in writing that any removal cost, all labor and materials
- Be sure to get a timeline, including payments and upfront or partial payments
- Ask about any warranty or guarantees
- Are a locally licensed & insured company
- Is an A+ Better Business Bureau Accredited Business
For more details on the above items, see our article on what to expect from a residential Kansas contractor. And for those looking for fencing contractor in the Wichita Kansas area, feel free to give us a call at (316) 262-6770 or e-mail.
And as always, let us know if you have any questions, other ideas, or comments!