Serving Wichita and the
surrounding areas since 1994.

Notes from a Remodeling & General Contractor for the Wichita, KS Area

Frozen Pipes and a Water Leak - Now What

While owners of older homes in the Wichita, KS area are more likely to encounter frozen pipes than newer construction, they can still happen to anyone. The likelihood mainly depends on where the pipes are located and how they are insulated. When water freezes, it expands, and weak metal or plastic pipes that aren’t insulated are more susceptible to bursting or leaking after thawing.

When temperatures drop to record lows, here’s what to do if a pipe bursts in your home or apartment:

Shut Off Your Water and, as Necessary, Your Electricity

Go to the home’s main water valve and shut it off immediately. Be prepared! Don’t wait for a burst pipe to find out where the main water valve is located. If you are unable to find the main water valve, locate your outside water meter. Typically, it is located in the front yard, but you may also find it in the back or side yard. Remove the cover and find a valve you can turn. The valve may be located too far down to reach without what is called a street key. On occasion you may find water in your meter pit.

Electricity should also be cut off to the section of the home where the water damage has occurred. If you live in an apartment complex and do not have control over the building’s water supply, be sure to contact your building manager or landlord.

Call a Professional Plumber

Not all plumbing companies have 24-hour service, so it’s a good idea to research and choose one in advance so you’re not scrambling after water floods your house. Plumbing costs vary depending on the location of the pipes and the extent of the damage. It’s always best to call a licensed, reputable plumber – they will have experience with water leaks caused by frozen piping.

When to Call a Professional to Remove Water

Homeowners will typically begin removing water on their own. Oftentimes water damage is much more extensive than an untrained eye can see. Water seeps into insulation, flooring, and framing, and sometimes it wicks up walls. Most homeowner’s insurance policies cover the cost of mitigating water damage, although deductibles will come into play. Cleaning up water damage as quickly as possible is critical to preventing mold and mildew in your home.

Mitigation professionals are trained and certified to recognize the extent of water damage and can apply the best drying practices for your situation. When a professional mitigation company such as S&A Restoration comes in, they will remove any materials that cannot be saved or restored and dispose of them. Contents will be moved and stored in the home if possible or in a container at the home if adequate storage is not available within the home.

Their work and reports will be the first step to recovering your loss, rebuilding, and restoring the area after damage done by water. As a general contractor company, S&A Construction uniquely has the experience, knowledge, and certifications to handle both the most difficult mitigation and restoration/rebuild jobs.

When it comes to restoration, S&A Restoration is your local family owned contractor who cares!

If you find yourself in an emergency situation and are in the Wichita, KS metro area (including Hutchinson, McPherson, and Newton), consider S&A Restoration, a BBB A+ rated professional in water damage restoration. Give us a call at (316) 558-8422 day or night.